December 3, 2012: Sorting and first draft of finding aid SCC submitted. 5 1/2 hours
State Council of Churches re-labeled and ready to be placed on their permanent shelves.
Brigette was gone today, but I had plenty to do! I was able to get through the final sorting of the last 5 boxes of the SCC collection. It is now all re-housed and beautifully organized and has been rounded out to 10 boxes and 5 linear feet. The largest collection I have been able to process, regardless, I finished the history note, scope and contents and the contents list and submitted the finding aid to Brigette for review. I took some pictures of the more interesting state council of churches logo’s that I found.
December 4, 2012: FCC DAM and cataloging, FCC blog post, SCC folder labeling. 4 1/2 hours
I uploaded the Federal Council of the Churches of Christ in America Records, 1905-1971 finding aid to the Burke Library website so I have done DAM for three items now. I also cataloged the collection in Voyager, which means the CLIO record is now visible (as you well know). The collection was tweeted from the Burke Library twitter account and a status update was posted on the Burke Facebook page. Thankfully Brigette is willing to sit down and walk me through all the steps. It is complicated and I’m sure I would have to do this a dozen more times before I actually would be able to do it without the help of a cheat sheet. I also wrote out my blog post on the Bethlehem steel strike and did the final touches on the labeling of the folders for SCC. I am just waiting to hear back from Brigette on my SCC finding aid so it can be sent to Ruth for final submission and hopefully I will be able to do the DAM on that next week, it would be nice to end everything on time for my final presentation.
November 19, 2012: FCC history, scope and content. Final finding aid submitted. 5 hours
I worked on the final draft of the finding aid for the FCC (Federal Council of Churches). I added the history and scope and content notes. I submitted the draft to Brigette for review.
November 20, 2012: FCC labels and correct finding aid. Inventory of SCC and research on history. 5 hours
I received the corrected copy of the finding aid back from Brigette. I made the changes requested and resubmitted it. Ruth Tonkiss is on vacation so I won’t be able to get her final approval until after Thanksgiving, when I return on Tuesday next week we should be able to do the DAM on the finding aid and get it up online. Yay! The most interesting stuff in this collection has to do with the Bethlehem Steel Strike of 1910 and the little bit of research I did on who seemed to be the owner of most of these papers; Rev. Rockland T. Homans. I think I will focus my blog entry on these two things. I labeled the boxes (which are just 3 small boxes)
Final home for the Federal Council of the Churches of Christ in America Records (FCC).
I began the inventory on my next collection State Council of Churches. It seems to mostly consist of bulletins from various state councils around the country. Shouldn’t be too difficult to organize. Amazingly I was able to complete the Work Plan and the Inventory.
November 25, 2012: Research on SCC. 2 hours
I brought home a couple of the books listed on my Work Plan and took some notes which I added to the bottom of the work plan. I’ll use these notes to develop the history portion of the finding aid. Hopefully the finding aid can be completed tomorrow. Then I can work on my FCC blog entry.
November 12, 2012: Organization of FCC materials, label folders, copy newsprint, etc.. 5 hours
I began by labeling a large number of folders with the title WAB: Federal Council of Churches Records. I then placed in the folders materials I found regarding each committee, commission, department, conference, meeting and sorted the members papers. I copied newspaper articles, placed the originals in Mylar sleeves or envelopes. After my initial sort, which included taking metal pins and paper clips that bound material together out, as well as trying to figure out where 6 or 7 loose papers seemed to fit. I found where they went for all of them except one, which I still have no idea what it is supposed to go to, it’s a budget sheet from minutes of some sort, but there is no date or title included on the sheet. Some of the materials were fragile and degrading. Some of the materials were in pretty good condition. I found some very interesting materials on the Bethlehem Steel Strike and some good newspaper articles on unity. I got through creating the final sort for 1 full box
November 13, 2012: Final FCC sort, Finding aid completed except for History and scope and contents note. 5 hours
I finished my final sort and labeling of the folders today. The final FCC collection rests in 3 boxes. Since much of the material was originally scattered in random boxes and mislabeled or non-labeled folders it was difficult to maintain original order of the materials. I sorted the commissions, departments, committees, conferences and meetings alphabetically (for the folders) and then by date (within the folders) For the members papers I kept them in their original order as far as subject, but then ordered them by date as best I could within the folder. There was one whole section for the Greenwich Conference on Church Union that was the conference’s papers all in a bound folder like thing. That is the only thing that definitely kept its original order. I moved the papers into 4 new folders with a photocopy of the title of the original bound folder. Next week I will finish the history portion and scope and contents note and submit it to Brigette and Ruth for final approval and then do DAM and cataloging. I might work on the history and blog post this weekend at home. My final collection will be the State Council of Churches Records.