Lead Data Librarian/Taxonomist (Sr. Analyst)
NBC Emerging Technology Department; Semantic Data Services Team
NBCUniversal; NBC NewsGroup, New York, NY
November 2015 – Present
- Product owner of ontology/knowledge graph used for controlled vocabularies, NLP, and enterprise search applications with the end goal of improving journalist workflows and increasing access to information across multiple CMSs and company divisions.
- Responsible for enhancing the ontology and analyzing metadata of all future and current platforms to be ingested into our noSQL database and made accessible for search.
- Collaborate and train knowledge graph users and provide technical and taxonomy support.
- Create informational, business driver, and workflow presentations.
- Write documentation including but not limited to: best practices, runbooks, QFDs, POC, analytics driven weekly newsletter, and teaching material.
- Familiar with Jira workflows for managing technology product releases.
Pratt Institute (iSchool), New York, NY
Fall Semester 2016, Fall/Spring Semesters 2017-Present
- Instructor for Knowledge Organization, a required foundation graduate level class.
- Prepare class materials and teach topics including MARC21, RDA, Dublin Core, RDF, Linked Data, Authority Files, etc…
Digital Assets Processing Archivist/Video Preservation Project Manager
Brooklyn Institute of Music (BAM) Hamm Archives, Brooklyn, NY
January 2014-November 2015
- Project manager and liaison with the NYPL Performing Arts Library (LPA) for digitizing BAM’s collection of U-matic and DVCam tapes of performances from 1983-2011. (1165 tapes recording 675 performances)
- Oversaw retrieval and transfer of videotapes from LPA to MediaPreserve. Meticulously generated spreadsheets that will inform the digital files embedded metadata, with information gleaned from NYPL catalog records and individual tape labels.
- Managed a historical research project in collaboration with Brooklyn Public Library and Brooklyn Daily Eagle that resulted in adding over 1000 productions and 2000 digital assets to our database.
- Record creation for entities, productions, and over 18,000 items of digitized film, programs, photographs and other promotional material related to BAM into CollectiveAccess the back-end CMS for the Leon Levy BAM Digital Archive.
- Metadata crosswalk mapping, digital asset cataloging guide, data and workflow statistics collection and reporting.
- Write and research for the BAM 150 blog. Blog entry can be found here: BAM blog
Academic Cataloger (Adjunct Faculty) Knowledge Access & Resource Management Services (KARMS) New York University, New York, NY
June 2015 – October 2015
- Use MARC21, RDA, Library of Congress Subject Headings, and ClassWeb to fully catalog and assign call numbers to University assets into ALEPH.
- Cataloged foreign language material. Mainly Spanish, but also French, German and Italian.
- Cataloged art books, literature, non-fiction, textbooks, etc… including one USB drive attached to an art book.
Graduate Assistant (GA) Pratt Institute (SILS), Dr. Cristina Pattuelli, New York, NY
May 2012-August 2014
- Assistant for LIS 653 Knowledge Organization, LIS 670 Cultural Heritage and LIS 608 Human Information Behavior.
- Prepare handouts, update syllabus/website/blog, substitute teach, review student work and lead the class labs/exercises on topics such as LOC authority files, subject headings, MARC21, RDA, VIAF, FRBR, Dublin Core, Connexion, RDA Toolkit & Classification Web.
- Train and supervise additional GA.
- Edit papers in preparation for submission to academic journals.
School Librarian/Media Specialist (7th – 12th grade) Rockwell Charter High School, Eagle Mountain, UT
July 2008 – January 2010
- Cataloging the entire initial collection of 6000 materials into Microsoft Excel in preparation for migration to the administration program.
- Supervised 5 student assistants, 2 volunteers and a study hall.
- Organized and managed acquisition, distribution and recovery of all library books as well as student & teacher edition textbooks.
- Reader’s Advisory and homework help. Taught library use classes to students as per teacher request.
- Prepared budget reports, equipment requests and policy reports for Business Manager and Director.
Researcher/Editor Infobases, Provo, UT
September 1994 – September 1995
- Compared digital scans with the original primary source document to verify accuracy of scans.
- Researched and safely handled primary source documents considered for inclusion on CD at the National Archives.
- Bibliographic record enhancement and verification.
Research Assistant BYU & U of Chicago Collaborative Research Project, Provo, UT & Washington D.C.
June 1992–June 1994
- Safely handled rare Civil War regimental books and census records at the National Archives in Washington D. C. and Salt Lake City in order to verify previous research.
EXPERIENCE: INTERNSHIPS (while pursuing MLIS and MS in Art History dual degree)
Digital Cataloging Intern Brooklyn Academy of Music Hamm Archives, Brooklyn, NY
August 2013 – January 2014
- Record creation for entities, productions, and over 5,000 items of digitized film, programs, photographs and other promotional material related to BAM into Collective Access.
Visual Resources Cataloging Intern American Museum of Natural History Research Library, New York, NY
June 2013-August 2013
- Original cataloging of 116 photographs and digitized illustrations from the rare book collection for the Natural Histories exhibit online into Omeka using AMNH bespoke controlled vocabulary.
September 2012-December 2012
- Assess, organize and write finding aids according to DACS for the William Adams Brown Ecumenical Library Archives.
- Write finding aids according to DACS and processing guides created by Columbia University and Burke.
- Digital Asset Management (DAM) and cataloging of newly processed collections into Voyager.
- Used social media and wrote entries for the Archives blog to advertise those collections.
Book Collection Intern Frick Art Reference Library (FARL), New York, NY
May 2012-August 2012
- Material retrieval and preparation for digitization for the Brill project.
- Bibliographic record enhancement, review and quality control.
Library Intern Poets House, New York, NY
February 2012 – August 2012
- Authored a brief guide for original cataloging (MARC21) to be used with interns.
- Bibliographic record enhancement, review and quality control for over 2000 items.
- Weeding and shelving as needed.
EXPERIENCE: VOLUNTEER WORK
Volunteer Librarian; Chairperson / Secretary of the EM City Library Board Eagle Mountain Public Library (EMPL), Eagle Mountain, UT
Feb. 2000-July 2003, July 2004-Aug. 2010
- Managed a team of 5 members as chairwoman of the board as we sought state certification.
- Wrote agendas, scheduled meetings, met with State Library Board members and City Council members; attended training seminars on Board duties.
- Copy cataloging and bibliographic record enhancement in Alexandria LMS and SirsiDynix LMS, reference work, Inter-Library loan, reader’s advisory, weeding and shelving as necessary.
Charter School Board Secretary Ranches Academy, Eagle Mountain UT
September 2002-May 2004
- Wrote agendas, scheduled meetings, and transcribed the minutes of the monthly meetings; attended training seminars on Board duties.
Master of History of Art (MS) Pratt Institute; New York, NY
August 2012 – December 2014
- Fall 2014
HA 605 Thesis–Hilma af Klint: The Medium of Abstraction
- Spring 2014
HA 507 Women in Art
HA 511 Picasso/Matisse Seminar (Matisse and the Alhambra term paper)
HA 605 Thesis on Hilma af Klint (in progress until December 2014)
- Fall 2013
HA 551 Intro to Islamic Art and Architecture
HA 640 Aspects of Japanese Design
HA 517 Documentary Film
HA 602 Theory and Methodology
- Spring 2013
HA 651 Intro to Painting Conservation (completed St. Michael painting w/ gilding and in egg tempera technique)
HA 504 Aegean and Greek Art
- Fall 2012
HA 650 Artists Materials, Techniques, & Conservation (Dr. Eleonora Del Federico professor of Chemistry) Egyptian Green Experiment
Master of Library and Information Science Pratt Institute School of Information
January 2011 – April 2013
- Rare Book and Special Collections focus; Archives Certificate; Museum Libraries Certificate
- Spring 2013
LIS 670 Cultural Heritage: Access and Description
LIS 675 Museum and Library Education Outreach
- Fall 2012
LIS 654 Information Technologies
LIS 698 Practicum (Archivist Intern Burke Library at Union Theological Seminary)
- Spring 2012
LIS 625 Management of Archives/Special Collections
LIS 632 Conservation and Preservation (Prof. Alexis Hagadorn Head of the Conservation Program Columbia University)
LIS 663 Metadata: Description and Access
- Fall 2011
LIS 653 Knowledge Organization
LIS 667 Art Librarianship (Prof. Ken Soehner Chief Librarian at the Watson Library)
LIS697 Rare Books (Prof. Michael Inman Head of the Rare Book Division., NYPL)
- Spring 2011
LIS 652 Info Services & Resources
LIS 651 Information Professions
Bachelor of Arts in American Studies Brigham Young University (BYU), Provo, UT
1990 – 1994
- April 2018, UXPA@Pratt Content Strategy Symposium “You Can’t Always Get What You Want: Leveraging (bad) metadata for asset discoverability.”
- April 2018, NBCU Technology: TechConnect Video “Semantic Search.”
- April 2018, NBCU Elevate 2018 Conference “Semantic Search” with Scott Drake, Joseph Su, and Brian Zatz.
- April 2015, Pratt Graduate Thesis Symposium “Hilma af Klint: The Medium of Abstraction.”
- May 2013, Pratt SILS Student Showcase “Defining and Creating Digital Fashion Archives that are Sustainable, Informative & Engaging.” Poster submission
- Midavaine, BreeAnn. WAB: American Bilateral Conversations Records, 1932-1975. The Burke Library Archives, Columbia University Libraries, 22 October 2012. Web.
- Midavaine, BreeAnn. MRL#3: Arunodaya: The Autobiography of Bãbã Padamanjí, 1944. The Burke Library Archives, Columbia University Libraries, 22 October 2012. Web.
- Midavaine, BreeAnn. WAB: Federal Council of the Churches of Christ in America Records, 1905-1971. The Burke Library Archives, Columbia University Libraries, 4 December 2012. Web.
- Midavaine, BreeAnn. WAB: State Council of Churches Records, 1943-1974. The Burke Library Archives, Columbia University Libraries, 10 December 2012. Web.
WORKSHOPS AND CERTIFICATIONS
- May 2018 “Machines + Media” NYC Media Lab, New York, NY
- May 2018, “Working with Open Data: How APIs [and Python] Work
METRO, New York, NY
- April 2018: Day 1 “Searching Through Seeing: Optimizing Computer Vision Technology for the Arts” The Frick Collection, New York, NY
- November 2017, “How do Search Engines Work” METRO, New York, NY
- September 2017, “Bibliographic Data as Linked Open Data: The BIBFRAME initiative” METRO, New York, NY
- August 2017, “Linked Open Data Workflow with OpenRefine” METRO, New York, NY
- April 2016, “Enterprise Workflow meets Enterprise DAM” Given by Henry Stewart Events: DAM Global Events, Webinar
- March 2016, “Cataloging, Gender, and RDA Rule 9.7:A” Given by Amber Billey and Emily Drabinski at METRO, New York, NY
- March 2016, “Metadata Madness: Media & Entertainment Interoperability Summit” Given by the MESA Alliance at the Microsoft Technology Center, New York, NY
- February 2016, “Selling UX” Given by Nadaleen Tempelman-Kluit from NYU at METRO, New York, NY
- October 2014, “Collective Access Advanced Workshop” METRO, New York, NY
- July 2012, “Introduction to the Principles of Bibliographic Description” Given by David Whitesell, Rare Book School at University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA
- Sept. 2011, “Digitization Workshop” Given by Ken Allen, Brooklyn Historical Society, Brooklyn, NY
- July 2011, “Book Conservation & Repair” Given by Kyle Triplett, Rare Book Librarian NYPL, New York, NY
- June 2011, “Spatial Literacy 101” ALA class Certificate of Completion, online
- As Chair of Eagle Mountain Public Library, earned state certification making the library a viable entity; allowing for expansion and eligibility for grants.
- Participated in the creation of a Certification Manual for use by the Utah State Library Board for instructing other libraries wishing certification. EMPL was the first non-county library to be certified in 25 years and prior to this the state did not have a working certification manual.
COMPUTER and RELATED SKILLS