December 10, 2012: Final finding aid SCC, DAM and blog post.4 hours
Today is my last day at the Burke. I am going to miss it. I loved organizing and labeling, the research and even the dust. My finding aid for SCC was reviewed by Brigette and Ruth and I was able to do all the final DAM before leaving. My last (hopefully not forever) collection is officially up on the website. Twitter and Facebook feeds were updated and I will re-tweet and re-post to my own personal accounts when I get home. I completed a wrap up blog post and then had my final evaluation and review with Brigette. I did have one major mistake to correct today… I typed up the wrong date on my labels for the boxes and got to use typewriter correction fluid from 1994 to fix it. Yay! for archives and the things they save!
December 3, 2012: Sorting and first draft of finding aid SCC submitted. 5 1/2 hours
State Council of Churches re-labeled and ready to be placed on their permanent shelves.
Brigette was gone today, but I had plenty to do! I was able to get through the final sorting of the last 5 boxes of the SCC collection. It is now all re-housed and beautifully organized and has been rounded out to 10 boxes and 5 linear feet. The largest collection I have been able to process, regardless, I finished the history note, scope and contents and the contents list and submitted the finding aid to Brigette for review. I took some pictures of the more interesting state council of churches logo’s that I found.
December 4, 2012: FCC DAM and cataloging, FCC blog post, SCC folder labeling. 4 1/2 hours
I uploaded the Federal Council of the Churches of Christ in America Records, 1905-1971 finding aid to the Burke Library website so I have done DAM for three items now. I also cataloged the collection in Voyager, which means the CLIO record is now visible (as you well know). The collection was tweeted from the Burke Library twitter account and a status update was posted on the Burke Facebook page. Thankfully Brigette is willing to sit down and walk me through all the steps. It is complicated and I’m sure I would have to do this a dozen more times before I actually would be able to do it without the help of a cheat sheet. I also wrote out my blog post on the Bethlehem steel strike and did the final touches on the labeling of the folders for SCC. I am just waiting to hear back from Brigette on my SCC finding aid so it can be sent to Ruth for final submission and hopefully I will be able to do the DAM on that next week, it would be nice to end everything on time for my final presentation.
November 27, 2012: SCC sorting and new folders, additions to the FCC finding aid. 5 hours
I started the morning writing labels on a large number of folders in preparation for beginning to start the sort on the SCC collection. I completed the beginning portions of the finding aid and began writing out the organization for the contents list. I was able to finish re-foldering and sorting two of the seven boxes before I got final feedback from Ruth on the FCC finding aid.
I was asked to expand on the historical note. I researched information about Charles Macfarland, Josiah Strong and William I. Haven and added information about them to the note. Other than that the changes were minimal. I enjoy seeing so little red on my FA’s now.
I also requested the 2nd box of FCC collection which had been placed on their permanent home in the archive stacks. The box contains papers relating to the Bethlehem steel strike of 1910 and I wanted to dig a little deeper into the papers for my blog post about the collection. I snapped a few photographs before having to leave.