~Daily Journal~ Week 10

November 5, 2012:  Began FCC inventory with unprocessed collection material.  5 hours

It is back to work for me.  The commute may be longer but I have a new FCC collection to work on.  After submitting my blog post on Baba to Brigette, I began researching and sorting through my next collection.  I sorted through the box and folders that I grabbed from the unprocessed collection and worked on my work plan, which I submitted to Brigette in order to get her approval on what I had determined might be the divisions in the collection.  You can see the original divisions suggested when the collection was acquired in my October 19, 2012 journal entry.  I added to my work plan as I sorted through the collection, adding what I saw were the different commissions and committees.  I hoped that would help me determine the final order.  I began the inventory and made it through the box and 3 folders that I had grabbed from the unprocessed collections.
November 6, 2012:  Final FCC inventory and organization discussion with Brigette.  5 hours

I finished my inventory of the FCC collection.  I talked with Brigette on how I should organize this collection.  I felt that after looking at the Presbyterian Historical Society finding aid that this should be a collection divided into three sections: Commissions, Committees, and Departments; Conferences and Meetings; and Members Papers.  There were a number of folders from the Hollinger boxes that just held newspaper and magazine articles on specific topics.  I could determine who some of them belonged too and actually I think (based on the date and the type of material) all belong to one person, Rev. Homans.  However, there is no proof of that in a few of the folders so it is just supposition on my part and so they should be labeled just as Members papers.  Brigette felt this was the correct way to go.  I also wanted to know how to divide this up on the finding aid. It is a small collection probably between 3 and 4 boxes and I didn’t think we needed to have it divided into series.  Brigette suggested that bolded headings would work just fine and gave me an example from a previous finding aid.  I will start putting everything in order, labeling folders, and new boxes next week.

Total Hours: 10

Running Total: 97

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s